How to Install Khmer Unicode on Windows 7

July 15, 2010

Actually Khmer Unicode does not need to be installed on Windows 7.  Without making any changes any text you view in Khmer will appear, but will be mostly unreadable because of its small size.

Here is a sample of what Khmer Unicode looks like in Windows 7 when you look on a website (in this case sbbic.org) before any changes are made:

khmer-unicode-windows-7-unaltered

Also, title bars are difficult to read:
khmer-unicode-windows-7-unaltered-titles

So how do we make it so that Windows 7 will display Khmer Unicode correctly and allow you to type in Khmer?

First, download this collection of Khmer Unicode fonts (we collected some of the main Khmer Unicode fonts available  into one .zip file for easy download).

Download “All Khmer Unicode Fonts” All-Khmer-Fonts-6-25-14.zip – Downloaded 15836 times – 17 MB

After you download them, extract the files to a folder and then select all the fonts and then right click and choose “Install” (pictured below):
install-khmer-unicode-fonts

Once all the fonts are installed download the SBBIC Khmer Unicode Keyboard so that you will be able to type in Khmer.  Our keyboard is based on the Khmer OS keyboard with a few slight modifications.  It will work with both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.  Download the SBBIC Khmer Unicode Keyboard here.

Download “SBBIC Keyboard 64-bit and 32-bit Windows Installer” SBBIC-Khmer-Keyboard-1.0.zip – Downloaded 2601 times – 467 kB

After downloading, extract the .zip file and double-click on setup:
instal-khmer-unicode-keyboard-windows-7

You will also find the SBBIC Khmer Keyboard Layout in the “KhmerKeyboard_SBBIC_1.0.pdf file that you can use for reference when learning to type in Khmer Unicode.

Now that you have installed many of the most used Khmer Unicode fonts and a keyboard, you will find that many websites (such as sbbic.org) will display in Khmer correctly.  But title bars are still difficult to read.

In order to change the Khmer font used in title bars you will need to make some changes to the Windows registry.  Please make a backup of your registry before attempting to make any changes (to backup your registry click the start menu and type “regedit”  The Windows registry editor will appear, then click the file menu and click “Export” and export your registry to a safe location).

You can download this zip file (from nokorsoft.com) that includes the file “fixWindows7.reg” which will make the changes for you or you can manually make the changes.  If you download the zip file extract its contents and double-click the file baned “fixWindows7″ and accept the changes to your registry.  Or you can make the following changes yourself:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionFonts] “Daunpenh (TrueType)”=-
“Khmer UI (TrueType)”=-
“Khmer UI Bold (TrueType)”=-
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionFontSubstitutes] “DaunPenh”=”Khmer OS System”
“Khmer UI”=”Khmer OS System”
“Khmer UI Bold”=”Khmer OS System”

Now restart your computer and everything should be running smoothly!  Now websites in Khmer should display perfectly as this screenshot:
sbbic-fixed-windows-7-khmer-300x175

Next, install the Khmer Spelling Checker and also try out the new Khmer Grammar Checker!

80 Comments. Leave new

How to Install Khmer Unicode on your Windows XP Computer « Society for Better Books in Cambodia
July 29, 2010 6:02 am

[...] This tutorial will walk you through the process of enabling Khmer Unicode on your Windows XP computer (if you need help installing Khmer Unicode on Windows 7 click here). [...]

ខ្ញុំបាទសូមគោរពអំពីចម្ងាយខ្ញុំបាទមានការងឿងឆ្ងល់ខ្លះអំពីពុម្ភអក្សរខ្មែរយូនិកូដ​​។​​ ថាតើហេតុអ្វីបានជាខ្ញុំមិនអាចប្រើខ្មែរយូនីកូតជាមួយនឹងprograms
ផ្សេងទៀតបាន ដូចជា​​ប្រើជាមួយ Adobe photoshop,Photoscape .ជាដើម។តើមកពីហេតុអ្វី​? ។សូមមេត្តាប្រាប់ខ្ញុំបាទអោយបានដឹងផង​។ខុស
ត្រូវយ៉ាងណាសូមមេត្តាអភ័យទោស​​។​សូមអរគុណ

សួស្តី អគុណ​ដែល​បាន​មក​មើល​គេហទំព័រ​យើង​ខ្ញុំ។ បញ្ហា​ដែល​យើង​ប្រើ​យូនីកូដខ្មែរ​មិន​បាន​ក្នុង​កម្មវិធី​ខ្លះ​មក​ពី​​កម្មវិធី​នេះ​មិន​ទាន់​មាន​សមត្ថភាព​ប្រើ​យូនីកូដខ្មែរ​។ យូនីកូដខ្មែរ​​ជា​យូនីកូដ​ថ្មីៗ​ហើយ​នៅ​តែ​មាន​គេ​ប្រើ​តិច អញ្ចឹង​កម្មវិធី​ខ្លះ​មិន​ទាន់​មាន​សមត្ថភាព​ប្រើ។ ឥឡូវ​Adobe Photoshop CS3 – CS5 អាច​ប្រើ​យូនីកូដខ្មែរ​បាន ប៉ុន្តែ​ត្រូវ​តែ​ប្រើ​ពុម្ពអក្សរ (font) “KH” (ឧទាហរណ៍៖ “KH Muol,” “KH Freehand” ។ល។)។ You can download these fonts here: http://www.sbbic.org/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=8

បន្ទាប់ពី​ download font khmer unicord សំរាប់​​​Adobe Photoshop CS3 – CS5​ រួចយើងត្រូវធ្វើអ្វីទៀត​។​សូមអរគុណ

Then, after you extract the zip file, you can right-click on the font files and choose “Install font”
Then you should be able to use the fonts in Adobe products.

ខ្ញុំបានធ្វើតាមការណែនាំហើយ ប៉ុន្តែនៅមិនអាចប្រើ ខ្មែរយូនីកូដ​ ក្នុង Adobe​ photoshop CS5 បានទេ ។ អាចវាយព្យញ្ជន: តែមិនអាចដាក់ជើងបាន ។​ សូមអរគុណ

How To View Correctly Khmer Unicode In Windows 7
September 29, 2010 5:27 pm

[...] found this tutorial: How to Install Khmer Unicode on Windows 7, which explain the first reason why I cannot view the Khmer Unicode. The fonts is missed. I tried [...]

អរគុណ​ច្រើនសំរាប់​ការ​ណែនាំ​ដ៏មាន​ប្រ​យោន៍!

ហេតុអ្វីបានជា Print មិនពេញលេញ ក្នុង Window7 ជា Font Khmer Unicode?
ឧទាហរណ៍ៈ ចំនួន -to- ចនំួន -ប៉ុន្តែ ពេល View print ឃើញធម្មតា
សូមជួយដោះស្រាយឱ្យផង សូមអរគុណ!
my e-mail: [email protected]

What program are you having trouble in? Word 2007? The way Unicode responds has much to do with what program you are using it in.

My trouble is in both Word 2007 and Excel 2007
My problem is just on some Text, but not all. As my first comment I told you.

You might try downloading the latest drivers for your printer. You could also try using another Khmer Unicode font and see if it still has issues (just to troubleshoot to find out what is causing the problem). If you can, try another computer as well so we can isolate the issue. Let me know what happens.

thanks. it is useful to follow your instruction.

I Want to learn khmer and how to type Khmer.

You can download KhmerOS’s Khmer Fast Typing trainer here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/khmer/files/Khmer%20Fast%20Typing%20Program/

Thanks work great for me !

I install font khmer unicode already why i can’t type font khmer unicode every where and can’t change key board too.

@Dara – click the start menu and type “change keyboards” and click the first link that comes up. Click the button “Change Keyboards…” and see if there is a Khmer keyboard listed. If not – add it. Let me know if that fixes it. If there is no Khmer keyboard available, install the keyboard we listed on this page: http://www.sbbic.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/SBBIC-Khmer-Keyboard-1.0.zip

i use Unicode in my adobe indesign so it not know ជើង​ គ្រប់ទាំង font ទាំងអស់ នៅក្នុង កម្មវិធី Adobe ប៉ុន្តែ​មាន font ខ្លះ ស្គាល់ ដូចជា Nida ប៉ុន្តែ​ក្នុង ចំនោម font ទាំងអស់ នោះ មានខ្លះ ក៏មិនស្គាល់ ដែរ តើ ធ្វើ ដូចម្តេច ដើម្បី អោយស្គាល់ បាន សំរាប់កម្មវិធីទាំងអស់ នេះ?

Hi Oumtithrorn,
If you use fonts with the “Kh-” prefix (included in http://www.sbbic.org/lang/en-us/2011/01/06/download-all-khmer-unicode-fonts/) you should be able to type and render Khmer Unicode correctly in Adobe products. An example font is “Kh-Battambang.ttf” Let me know if you have trouble getting the fonts installed.

I’m trying to use khmer fonts unicode with the notepad; I can’t change fonts or size to display the different fonts’ style on the same page.
I also try to use the wordpad. The problem is I can’t corrected the words that prevousely typed.
Your help in this matter is deeply appreciated.

Hello Sambath,
Thanks for visiting! Notepad is not the best option when you want to format things with different fonts and styles. I would recommend OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org) it is a free Word processor and works great with Khmer Unicode.
-Nathan

How come everytime I use khmer fonts some word I type it has a space between them? Because I set up the keyboard wrong or becuase of something else?

Hello TY,
What program are you typing in? If you type in Notepad are there still spaces between some words?
-Nathan

I’m typing in microsoft word and couple of othere program. Especially cyberlink power producer, I only can type regular, but not with the shift.

TY: Microsoft Word 2007 should work without problem (2003 should as well, but sometimes it will have trouble). I would assume then that cyberlink power producer does not support Khmer Unicode. Even though Windows 7 supports Khmer Unicode it is still up to the various programs to also support it. Adobe products do now support Khmer Unicode if you use the right fonts (download our font pack and use the supplied fonts that start with “KH”). http://www.sbbic.org/2011/01/06/download-all-khmer-unicode-fonts/

Why can’t I use spacebar?

Hi Ty,
Depending on what keyboard you are using the spacebar is used for two different things. If you are using NiDA or SBBIC’s keyboard, the spacebar creates a non-breaking space (invisible) so that words will stay together when they come to the end of the line on a page, also this allows our spelling checker to check each word. On the default keyboard for Khmer in Windows 7 (PANCambodia’s) the spacebar is used to add a jung, and the forwardslash (/) is used to add a non-breaking space. On both keyboards to do a real space you hold shift and then press the spacebar.
Hope that helps!

Excuse me! I can see the Khmer Unicode keyboard in the Change Keyboard, but why I can’t use it for typing?

Hello Katty,
When you select the “KH” (next to the clock on the task bar) or click “EN” to change it to “KH” and then start typing in notepad what happens? Some programs still cannot use Khmer Unicode, so when testing it is safest to use notepad because it does support it. Microsoft Word 2007 and above also supports Khmer Unicode without issue (2003 can as well, but sometimes it has problems). Let us know if there is still an issue and we can work through it.

ខ្ញុំចង់ដំឡើងយូនីកូដ ក្នុងwindow7 64 bit ប៉ុន្តែ សញ្ញដាក់ជើង នៅ space ទៅវិញ?

In order to use the NiDA keyboard (where J adds a ជើង) with a Windows 64-bit system you can install the SBBIC keyboard here: http://www.sbbic.org/2010/07/07/khmer-unicode-keyboard-64-bit-and-32-bit-windows-installer/

អោ សារិន
April 9, 2011 10:25 am

សួរស្តីរ

ខ្ញុំមានបញ្ហាជាមួយកុំព្យុទ័រតួអក្សរ ពេញតូ ខ្ញុំមិនអាចសរសេរ តូអក្សរពេញតួបានទេ សូមជួយប្រាប់ខ្ញុំផង
សូមអរគុណទិកជាមុន

សួស្ដី សារិន
សូម​ទៀន​យក http://www.sbbic.org/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=15 ហើយ​មើល​របៀប​វ​វាយ​តួអក្សរ​ទាំង​អស់។ បើ​សិន​ជា​អ្នក​នៅ​តែ​មាន​បញ្ហា​សូម​មេតា​ប្រាប់​យើង​ម្ដងទៀត។​

how come everytime I use vowel the sentence have a space between the letter?

I’m not quite sure if I understand you correctly t.y – Can you be a little more specific? You should not have to put a space between the vowels. But remember that not all programs support Khmer Unicode – even though you have Windows 7, Khmer Unicode still will not work with everything. When you type in Notepad, does it look right?

Cambodia News: - Khmer News - ពត៌មាន/ព្រឹតិ្តការណ៍ថ្មីៗ - Khmerpress.com
May 25, 2011 12:09 am

[...] How to Install Khmer Unicode on Windows 7 [...]

I have installed Khmer Unicode as per instructions. However, the foot consonants do not display correctly, or usually, at all. I suspect the problem is Win XP or my specific computer. Has anyone had the same problem?

Don’t ask me to install Win7: one, my computer is too old to cope with anything newer than XP, and two, I cannot afford Win 7 anyway.

រស្មី
June 15, 2011 7:21 am

សួស្តី!

ខ្ញុំមានបញ្ហាចំលែកមួយពេលប្រើប្រាស់អក្សរយូនីកូដជាមួយកម្មវិធីAdobe Photoshop, InDesign។ ជាទូទៅខ្ញុំអាចសរសេរដោយប្រើយូនីកូដដោយគ្មានបញ្ហា។ តែពេលណាខ្ញុំបង្រួម ទំហំអក្សរមកនៅតូចជាង១០ឬ១១pt. ពាក្យមួយចំនួនធំចាប់ផ្តើមមានបញ្ហា។ ជើងនិងស្រៈរញ៉េ រញ៉ែអស់។ ឥឡូវខ្ញុំកំពុងចង់បង្កើតទស្សនាវដ្តីសំរាប់សាលាខ្ញុំ តែជួបបញ្ហានេះ។ សូមអ្នកទាំងអស់គ្នាជួយដោះស្រាយផង។ សូមបញ្ជាក់ថាខ្ញុំបានដំឡើងFont អក្សរដែលផ្តើមដោយ KH រួចរាល់ហើយ។ សូមអរគុណ!

Hello រស្មី – we hope to release a template soon that will make things easier for using Khmer Unicode with Adobe InDesign. For now, try downloading the templates here: http://www.thomasphinney.com/2009/01/adobe-world-ready-composer/
Let us know if you have more success.

កូឡាប
July 11, 2011 2:02 am

I can not use font of khmer unicode well because the foot consonants do not display, and now i can not download from ur website too, so have any way for me to find structure.thanks

Hello – are you using Windows 7? Does Khmer Unicode show correctly in Notepad? Some programs do not yet show Khmer Unicode correctly, so first make sure it is working in Notepad. You can download a collection of Khmer Unicode fonts here: http://www.sbbic.org/lang/en-us/2011/03/31/download-every-known-khmer-font-all-at-once

ខ្ញុំស្រឡាញ់ខ្មែរ
August 11, 2011 3:33 am

សូមជំរាបសួរ! អ្នកទាំងអស់គ្នាបាទ! ខ្ញុំមានសំណូមពរមួយណ៎ា! តាមយបល់របស់ខ្ញុំ ៗ ឆ្ងល់ណាស់ ហេតុអ្វីអក្សរខ្មែរយូនីកូដមិនអាចប្រើជាមួយ CorelDraw អញ្ចឹង? បើតែយ៉ាងហ្នឹង តើយើងរាល់គ្នាខំប្រឹងប្រើធ្វើអ្វីទៀត ។ ខ្ញុំឃើញភាសាដទៃៗ គេរីកចម្រើនណាស់ដូចជាភាសា ថៃជាដើម ។ ចំណែកខាងអក្សរខ្មែរយើង ក្នុងកម្មវិធីនិមួយៗ ប្រើពុម្ពអក្សរខុសៗគ្នា ពិបាកប្រើមែនទែន ហ៊ឺ!…………!

ពេល​នេះ​ខ្មែរ​មិន​ទាន់​ដើរ​ក្នុង​កម្មវិធី CorelDraw ប៉ុន្តែ​ភាសាខ្មែរ​ដើរ​ក្នុង Adobe Illustrator CS3, 4, និង 5។ ខ្ញុំ​មិន​ដឹង​មូលហេតុ​ CorelDraw មិន​ទាន់​ឲ្យ​កម្មវិធី​គេ​ដើរ​ជា​មួយ​ភាសាខ្មែរ។ ប្រហែល​សួរ Corel។

បងប្រុស
ជាបថម ខ្ញុំសូម​​ អរគុណ​បង​ខ្លាំង​ណាស់​សំរាប់​ការ​បង្កើត​និងជួយ​ដោះស្រាយ​បញ្ហាជា​​ច្រើន​ទាក់ទង​និង​ហ្វុន​ខ្មែរយូនីកូត ។
សំរាប់ខ្មុំ នៅក្នុងកម្មវិធី Adobe Photoshop, Illustator, CS3, CS4, CS5 វាមិនមានបញ្ហាអ្វីទេសំរាប់ហ្វុន​​ យូនីកូតខ្លះ ។ ប៉ុន្តែ​នៅក្នុង កម្មវិធី Adobe After Effect CS5 ខ្ញុំមិនអាច​សរសេរ​អក្សរ​ខ្មែរ​បាន​ទាល​​តែសោះ។ សូមមេត្តាជួយដោះស្រាយ​អោយផង​ ។

សូមអរគុណ!

រ៉ាវី
August 18, 2011 10:51 am

សួរស្តី​ ខ្ញុំមានបញ្ហាមួយគឺសរសេរពុម្ភអក្សរខ្មែរយូនីកុដមិនចេញជើងនៅក្នុងកម្មវិធី​ Photoshop CS5
សូមជួយដោះស្រាយផង អគុណ

If you use fonts that start with “KH” they should work with Adobe Photoshop CS5. Download all the fonts here http://www.sbbic.org/downloads/all-khmer-unicode-fonts.zip, and try the fonts that start with “KH” Let us know if you still have any problems.

how do i put the sign above the letter or underneath

បងសង្ហា
August 24, 2011 1:22 pm

សួរស្តី​ ខ្ញុំមិនអាចវាយ​ Internet ជាភាសារខ្មែរទេ​
វាចេញ​ អីុន​ រឺ អុីន ៕
សូមអរគុណទុកជាមុន
PS: ខ្ញុំប្រើoffice 2007 on window 7 professional edition

ក្នុងMs.word គេវាយ អ+៊+ី(G/I) វាចេញហើយ។

ខ្ញុំចងសរសេរពាក្យថា “ឲ្យ” ក្នុង Window 7 ដោយប្រើ PanCambodia Keyboard ប៉ុន្តែរកអត់ឃើញទេ..ជួយប្រាប់ផងថាវានៅកន្លែងណា???

I can’t use space bar for ជើង, any solution to fix the issue with window 7?

Just to let you know that the issue is solved. I have window 7, but the unicode doesn’t work with microsoft office with my computer. I tried to use Wordpad, now everything is OK.

ខ្ញុំមានបញ្ហាក្នុងការដាក់ជេីង និង សញ្ញាមួយចំនួន សូមជួយដោះស្រាយខ្ញុំផង

Hi, I’ve installed khmer unicode and it’s working fine until I tried to type it in italic and it didn’t work.
How do I fix this?
Thanks.

Why it is so complicated to make Khmer Unicode work? Maybe it look like a rocket science. Since windowsxp – > windows 7. Khmer Unicode is still a nightmare

Can you please show me how to download khmer fonts by using window 7? I have trouble with it now.
Thanks,
Channy

I tried to download FixWindows7.reg from http://www.nokorsoft.com but without success, and try to understand your manual fix of the registry but could not understand it. In registry, it has, Name, Type and Value Data. Example of DaunPenh. Name is DaunPenh(TrueType), Type is REG_SZ, and Value Data is DaunPenh.ttf. Where do I need to change?

very helpful indeed!!!!!!!!! Your font system works instantly. The manual reg edit works really fine. I am really glad. Thanks a million

i don’t know

well i just download khmer unicode into my computer,but after i downloaded it i can’t see the word install.and i also can’t see the icon show on my computer.so how can i do it?

Hello Phatana – Make sure and download the file to a location you can find it again. Many times, downloads go into your download folder.

ខ្ញុំសូមសួរបន្តិចពីការវាយអត្ថបទក្នុង MS Word 2010 with Win 7 64bits​ ពេលដែលខ្ញុំត្រូវដាក់ជើងវាមិនទាន់លោតភ្លាមទេ ទាល់តែវាយ​ស្រះទើបលោត។ សួមជាប្រាប់ផង

Make sure you are using the right font – try some different fonts and see if they work. Otherwise try a different keyboard for Khmer Unicode: http://www.sbbic.org/2010/07/07/khmer-unicode-keyboard-64-bit-and-32-bit-windows-mac-os-installer/
If you still are having trouble, write some text in Khmer in Office 2010 with the jungs incorrectly placed, and paste it into a comment here so I can take a look. Hope that helps!

តើមានវិធីណាដែលអាច Font ពី Unicode ទៅ​ Limon ​ឬពីLimon​ ទៅ Unicod ដែររឺអត់?

Hi!.. I’ve installed Unicode Conversion ( PAN Localization Cambodia on Window 7 64 bit. but it’s always error when i try to this Unicode conversion. Any one can share to how make it run.

ចង់សួរថា តើ Unicede អាចប្រែអត្ថបទ អង់គ្លេស មក​ ខែ្មរ ដូចភាសាគេដ៏ទៃ(google translator) ហើយឬនៅ?

ចង់សួរថា តើ Unicode អាចប្រែអត្ថបទ អង់គ្លេស មក​ ខែ្មរ
ដូចភាសាគេដ៏ទៃ(google translator) ហើយឬនៅ?

How to Install Khmer Unicode on Windows 7 | VICHHAIY… Welcome!!!
December 21, 2012 3:33 am

ខ្ញុំសុំសួរថាហេតុអ្វីបានជាពេលខ្លះខ្ញុំតំឡើងយូនីកូដរូចហើយប៉ុន្តែវាមិនមានជើងសម្រាប់បុកអញ្ចឹង?

IT CAMBO | ដំឡើងពុម្ពអក្សរ​យូនីកូដខ្មែរ លើ Win 7
April 16, 2013 2:47 am

[...] លើ Windows 7: ចូលដោនឡូតខ្មែរ Khmer Unicode download file zip បន្ទាប់ពីដោនឡូតបានចុចលើ file ដំឡើង [...]

ខ្ញុំចង់ប្តូរ Font ដើម្បីឲ្យ File Name ឬ Folder Name នៅលើ Windows 7, or 8 ថ្វើយ៉ាងម៉េចទៅ?

Nathan Wells
June 29, 2014 10:18 pm

Hello Leakhys,
Windows 8 has discontinued that feature. But you can edit the registry (don’t do this unless you are an experienced PC user): http://superuser.com/questions/465404/how-to-change-the-fonts-in-windows-8

Also, you can download a Khmer language pack if you want Khmer fonts. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/using-multiple-languages

Windows 7 still has the option via the Window Color and Appearance settings in the Control Panel.

តើធ្វើដូចម្តេច ដើម្បីឲ្យ Font Khmer Unicode ដំណើរការលើ VBA នៃ MS.Access បាន?

Nathan Wells
June 29, 2014 10:22 pm

From what I can tell the VBA coding window in MS Access does not support Unicode. You can deal with Khmer with VBA in Access as seen in this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmTKyMyY4k

អរគុណលោក Nathan Wells​ ចំពោះការចែករំលែក ខ្ញុំនឹងយកចិត្តទុកដាក់សាកល្បង។

ហេតុអ្វីបានជា Unicode Font មិនអាចប្រេីក្នង Adobe After Effect ?

Nathan Wells
July 22, 2014 11:03 pm

Adobe has been inconsistent with supporting Khmer Unicode. You can use Photoshop to type Khmer and import the .psd file into After Effects. I don’t have the latest After Effects, so it is possible that After Effects CC supports it (I only tested CS4).

Thanks Nathan for making this available. The apparent lack of support for the keyboard layout for Win 7 64-bit by KhmerOS is regrettable. I needed your file here!

Nathan Wells